Sunday, November 10, 2013

NaNoWriMo Progress Report - Week One

I wish I could say that the story flowed for me the entire week.  Truth is, I had to drag every word out of the deepest recesses of my brain.  I couldn't figure out what was holding it all back.  Then, a few nights ago, it clicked.  I was so focused on word count, that I wasn't creating anything.

I couldn't picture my characters.  I couldn't imagine them doing anything that they should have been doing.  They weren't doing their part in speaking with me either.  It was so frustrating.

The week started out alright.  The first 1800 words came out easily enough, but by the third day, I was more than 3000 words behind schedule.  I got to the point on day five, where I started avoiding the computer.  I tucked away my notepads, put the flash-drive away, and did everything I could to avoid the stinkin' keyboard.

Luckily, I have a friend that I've been writing with for years, who is very good at kicking my butt.  I also got into a group with a few other writers, and we're holding each other accountable.  It's been a great help.

Day five, I went to my NaNo page and found this little gem...

"At This Rate You Will Finish On December 16, 2013"

First thought was, "What?!?"
Then it was, "Oh, hell no!"
In the next two hours, I wrote over 1200 words.  Not quite at the speed of writing I was accustomed to, but it was coming out.

So where did I end up at the end of the week?  I was three full days behind schedule.  Am I worried?  I'm really not anymore.  I know what was holding me back and I'd also done a lot of research in that first week.

If I'm smart, I'll keep reminding myself of my own rules.



Where do I go from here?  Get in on those writing sprints, talk through my plot points that are sticking, and look at the picture of my dream cast and tell them that I need their help.  I'm looking forward to week two and can't wait to see how everyone else's stories are coming along.


If you're writing for NaNoWriMo, you may be feeling some of the same frustrations.  Feel free to voice them and get a conversation going.  Good luck to us all!




No comments:

Post a Comment