Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Books That Have Left a Mark

Recently, someone posted a little chain on Facebook about the ten books that have affected you.  Y'all it was so very difficult to choose just ten!  Do you know how many books I've read?  Well, of course you don't, but I certainly do, and it's no small number!  It's not in the hundreds, it's in the thousands, maybe passing into the tens of thousands.

I have always been a reader.  As soon as I could read, I was all over the printed word.  It didn't matter if it was paperback, hardcover, newspaper, or pamphlet, I read everything.  I LOVE reading!

When it came down to it, I did what I was told to do and chose ten.  The first ten books that popped into my mind when down in my post.  Some were more recent reads than others, but there were a couple that dated back to elementary school.  That's how profound an effect they had on me.

So my list went a little something like this:

Six Months to Live by Lurlene McDaniel was a difficult read for me at such a young age.  I believe I was ten when I first picked it up and the book was teenage angst, mixed with an illness that, back then, was a death sentence.  I laughed and cried more reading that book than any other since.  I can't tell you how many times I read it, because it was a go-to anytime I needed a good cry.  I still have that book, but recently loaned it to my fifteen year old niece.  I can't wait to see how it's affected her.  I only just found out that the author actually wrote four more books about the same character.  I will have to take the time to catch up.

Nancy Drew Mysteries by Carolyn Keene was my favorite checkout in the school and public libraries.  I always imagined myself partnering with Nancy Drew to solve a case.  I find myself wanting to go back and reread every single one of them, but I have since matured in age - in other words, I'm old! - to read the works of Tess Gerritsen, John Grisham, and James Patterson.

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott was a good coming of age story.  I loved Jo!  I thought she was bright, daring, and fun.  I felt her pain, her confusion, and want.  I only wished I could be just like her.

Persuasion by Jane Austen taught me that love transcends time.  Mister Right Now may not be what I'd want in the present, but he could one day be what I both wanted and needed.  Everything happens for a reason, even if that reason creates anxiety, pain, and wonder.

The Fish Book by Stephen C. Lundin, John Christensen, and Harry Paul was a lesson in work ethic and etiquette.  It showed how my own attitude at work could affect those around me and create a toxic environment.  It was why I tried to keep a positive outlook no matter how bad a day I had or how rudely I'd been treated in a given day.  It probably saved my ass more times than not while I worked retail.  A sales manager that I'd worked for at Incredible Universe (gah, I'm old!), introduced me to the book and took me to a conference where the authors were speaking.  It was the one of the great experiences I'd had as a twenty-something adult.

Cubicles by Camika Spencer was given to me to read by a district manager of mine.  I adored that woman not only because she supported me, but she understood me.  This book makes you question how far you'd be willing to go to get ahead.  Some do it with integrity and dignity, while others lie, cheat, and steal their way to the top.  It was a good read and I identified with the book because of my own experience in corporate America.

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert was an awakening on a personal level.  I had created my own toxic environment in denying myself my own happiness.  I'd found love, married the love of my life in 2002, but had been poisoning our lives with doubt and self-loathing.  I had to fix myself in order to save what was precious to me.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and yes it was made into a movie, but I read the book first and loved it!  The book didn't translate as well to the screen because you missed out on a lot of Jacob's antics.  The struggles that young man went through and the cantankerous antics of the elder version of him were enough to warm any heart.  I often laughed at his inner thoughts in dealing with his nurse and adored him all the more.  The elder Jankowski reminded me so much of my own grandfather.

Ellis Island Interviews by Peter Coan was eye-opening.  To read the stories of what many of our ancestors went through to get to America.  Why these people left their homelands was, in some cases, terrifying.  I am the great-great granddaughter of Irish immigrants and was doing genealogical research when I found this book.  It drew me in and I wondered if any of my immigrant ancestors had similar stories that had been lost over the years.

Geoducks are for Lovers by Daisy Prescott was so much fun to read.  I've read it twice so far and have enjoyed it both times.  It's a good read for those of us whom have long left our college years and may be going through life a little differently than we'd originally planned.  I easily identified with the main character who made me laugh with all her little anxieties though she tried to keep an outward appearance of calm.

A picture from a small section of one of my bookshelves.
Yes, I am a book hoarder and damn proud of it.


If you haven't read a few of these, or any of these, I certainly would recommend them all to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment